When someone has gone through surgery, or has chronic pain, they may be prescribed a prescription painkiller. Often, these are drugs in the opioid class. Unfortunately, opioids carry high potential for people to develop a dependency on them. As a result, if these drugs are not taken with high levels of medical supervision, addiction can take hold.
With more than a million people every year dealing with opioid addiction, it’s become an epidemic. While this can seem frightening, the flip side is that you are not alone. There are patient and caring addiction specialists who can help. Don’t hesitate to find out more about opioid addiction treatment in Murrieta, CA.
What Do Statistics Say About the Opioid Epidemic?
Since the topic of addiction has historically been shrouded in stigma and judgment, opioid addiction has been able to (until quite recently) quietly set in throughout the United States. Even though it’s not an uncommon problem, the numbers can be staggering.
Looking at statistics about opioid use can help you understand the scope of the problem, and to see that you’re not alone.
- In 2019, around 10 million people reported misuse of opioids in the last year.
- Specifically, the majority of them were using prescription painkillers, while others abused heroin.
- Drug overdose deaths have surpassed 100,000 in the United States annually.
- Overdoses of fentanyl and methamphetamines have risen, as have deaths from semi-synthetic opioids.
- For every opioid overdose that results in death, there are many who overdose and survive.
- Those who overdose at least once are more likely to have another overdose.
With a look at these facts, it’s important to understand how crucial it is to get help if you or a loved one is addicted to opioids. The dangers are real, however, there are also many paths toward recovery that you can explore.
The opioid epidemic is a challenge that many healthcare and wellness professionals are tackling. Rehab centers today offer a wide range of services to provide for all levels of care. With a little help from compassionate specialists, family, and friends, you can conquer opioid addiction once and for all.
How Can You Fight Opioid Addiction?
Clearing your system of opioids and adjusting back to life without them is not without challenges. The physical, mental, and emotional toll it can take is enough to send some people straight back to using opioids again. That’s why it’s important to understand the process of recovery from the start.
A reputable prescription drug rehab center should offer not just basic detox services, but also:
- Medically-assisted treatment, or MAT, so you can tolerate withdrawal from opioids
- Residential treatment options, so you can get through post-detox days in comfort and safety
- 12-step treatment or other evidence-based therapies to structure your recovery
- Outpatient programs, to support those who are done with detox and ready to return to home, work, and family responsibilities
- Sober living homes for people who lack a safe or drug-free place to live
- Aftercare programs and alumni meetings to keep graduates sober and strong
The opioid epidemic may be frightening to you and your family. However, with so many people committed to giving you the fresh start you deserve, there is no need to panic. Finding a healthy balance in your life is possible, and your future is worth it.
Opioid Addiction Treatment in Murrieta
Residents of Murrieta, California who are dealing with opioid or heroin addiction symptoms can reach out today to a local rehab center near you. With comfortable and convenient facilities, you can find yourself feeling relaxed and at ease in spite of difficulties. Welcoming and friendly staff will also give you the understanding and compassion you deserve.
The COVID-19 pandemic has given everyone something extra to worry about. With this in mind, take action quickly if you find yourself or a loved one dealing with symptoms of opioid addiction. Taking the time to ask for help today may be a choice you thank yourself for tomorrow.